Organized by:
 The International Orthopterists' Society
 China Agricultural University (CAU)
 Yunnan Academy of Agricultural Sciences

 Co-organized by:
 Sciences(YAAS)
 Yunnan University
 Yunnan Provincial Society of
 Microbiology (YSM)
 Yunnan Provincial Society of
 Entomology (YSE)



 
Tour

 
Welcome to 11th ICO ,  please login.


  Destination Time Duration Choose Number of person
Line1 Stone Forest & Colourful Yunnan 15th Aug, 2013 1day
Line2 Dali, Lijiang and Shangri-La 16th-23th Aug, 2013 8days
Note
      ●   Tour Reservation Dead-Line: Aug.10, 2013.
      ●   The tour fee is not included in the registration fee. Both tours will be paid on site.
      ●   All the prices are estimated and may change a little when be paid on-site.
Line 1
      Stone Forest & Colourful Yunnan, 1 day with narrator
      Time : 6:30-17:30, 15th August,2013
      Fee: RMB 290.00(USD50)/person
      Fees include:
      Tickets, meals (team meal), car fare, Tour guide service charge, Sunbonnet, Mineral water, Insurance
      
Course:
      In the Morning, drive to Stone Forest which is National 5A scenic spot (about 1.5 hours).
      Visit Big Stone Forest, Small Stone Forest, Naigu Stone Forest (Statue named Ashima, Amah Rock, Lotus pool, Jianfeng pool, Pavilion at the peak, The lion pavilion, Ten thousand years of ganoderma lucidum, Swim with mother, Stone prison, and so on about 3 hours).
       After Lunch, visit Colourful Yunnan.Back to Kunming by coach.

The Stone Forest lies about 80 miles to the southeast of Kunming. A geological phenomenon, the Stone Forest was a vast expanse of sea during the Paleozoic era——some 270 million years ago. Later, the movement of tectonic plates altered the earth's crust, causing the sea to recede and its limestone bottom to appear, thereby forming land. Due to the constant seeping of rain through the cracks in the limestone, some of the stone formation dissolved and the fissures broadened, producing a group of great sculptures of different shapes, all molded by nature.

In the midst of the forest, there is a huge rock screen on which two words——Stone Forest——are engraved in official script (in a calligraphic style typical of the Han Dynasty, 206 B.C.-220 A.D.). Among the scenic sights is the "Sword Peak Pond" with jadeite-colored water so clear that one can see the bottom of the pond. Other astonishing sights include "Figure of Ashima," "Shi Ba Xiang Song" (its name originating in the Chinese love story, "Liang Shanbo and Zhu Yingtai"), and "Lotus Peak."

The splendor of the Stone Forest is enhanced by the local customs of the native Sani people (who are part of the Yi minority). Sani people are industrious and hospitable——and unconstrained. Sani women are expert at spinning, weaving, and embroidering. They like to wear rainbow-colored headgear and bright-colored dresses. The young people especially are very good singers and dancers. Every day at sunset, under the moonlight, boys and girls gather at the village platform. While the boys play the three-stringed plucked instruments, the girls clap their hands and dance the strong-rhythmed traditional "A'Xi (Ah-shi) Dance in the Moon" with great enthusiasm. If you happen to witness the event, you will be invited to join in the festivity.

Note that every lunar year, on June 24th, the Sani people celebrate their national festival——the Torch Festival. On that day, the entire Stone Forest is permeated with a celebratory atmosphere. There are traditional performances of wrestling and bull-fighting. Finally, when the land is enveloped in the curtain of night, the young men (holding torches in their hands) run after the young women to propose marriage in the light of colored lanterns.

Line 2
      Eight Days and Nights Journey to Dali, Lijiang and Shangri-La
      by Tourist Bus Time : 8days, from 16th-23th August, 2013
      Fee : RMB 2600(USD450)/person
      Fees included :
      The first tickets of every viewpoint, meals (16 meals), accommodation (8 nights, three star), car fares, Cruise fee in Dali, Erhai Protection Foundation, Lijing ancient town maintenance fees; mountain entrance fee, cableway fees, Guide services fees, Insurance.
      
      
D1 Leaving for Dali from Kunming after breakfast; sightseeing Ancient Town of Dali; enjoying exotic foreigner street (90 minutes); visiting Erhai Lake after lunch; enjoying Bai nationality dancing; tasting Three Dishes Tea; free activities after supper. Accommodation in Dali
D2 Leaving for Lijiang from Dali after breakfast; 90-minute break at Taian on way to Lijiang; visiting Black Dragon Pool for 60 minutes; sightseeing the Ancient Town of Lijiang, Square Street and tasting unique fascination of Lijiang; After dinner, free activity or participation with paid service for large scale of dancing show like” beautiful water and gold sand” and Naxi ancient music(at own expense). Accommodation in Lijiang
D3 Leaving for Shangri-La after breakfast and enjoying beauty of Jade Dragon Snow Mountain along the way; taking pictures at the first bend of Yangtze river (15 minutes); sightseeing world level valley called Tiger leaping Gorge (90 minutes); Participating Tibetan dancing and experiencing leisure’s of Tibet people(at own expense). Accommodation in Shangri-La
D4 Sightseeing bita Sea, Shudu Lake, Ecology Village in Pudacuo Park(240 minutes); visiting Tibetan dragon biology(40 minutes); sightseeing Shika Snow Mountain by cableway, where snow mountain, valley, forest, lake, flower sea, meadow are enjoyed with Tibetan costumes and ecology; free activates after super. Accommodation in Shangri-La
D5 Sightseeing Songzanglin Temple in the morning after breakfast; Visiting Dukexong ancient town in the afternoon Accommodation in Shangri-La
D6 Returning to Lijing after lunch and break at Diqing Traveling Service Station for 30 minutes along the way; If possible, relaxing at bars of Lijing (at own expense). Accommodation in Lijiang
D7 Sightseeing Jade Dragon Snow Mountain; enjoying Yunshanping, natural pasture “Ganhaizi”, “Baishuihe”, colorful river “Blue Moon Valley” by cableway (4 hours);traveling Lijiang Spirulina after lunch and leaving for Dali; break at Taian again (40 minutes) along the way; free activity after super. Accommodation in Dali
D8 Sightseeing Three Pagodas of Chongsheng Temple (90 minutes) and Butterfly Spring of the Holy Land of Bai people’s love (60 minutes); returning to Kunming and the end of the pleasant trips. Accommodation in Kunming
   

Photo 1. The Three Pagodas Temple of Dali

      
Photo 2. The Chongsheng Temple


Photo 3. Jade Dragon Snow Mountain


Photo 4. Jade Dragon Snow Mountain

  
Photo 5.Ancient Town of Lijiang


Photo 6. Pudacuo National Park


Photo 7. Pudacuo National Park


 Photo 8. Songzanlin Lamasery

 Photo 9. Bai nationality dancing

 Photo 10.Naxi ancient music




Cenic spots in Kunming



World Horticultural Exposition Garden

Sitting in the northeast suburbs (6 kilometers from the city center) of Kunming, the World Horticultural Expo Garden is a venue for the 1999 Kunming International Horticulture Exposition. It is a first-class Daguanyuan (Grand View Garden), which has typical Chinese and local Yunnan characteristics. The World Horticultural Expo Garden is about 218 hectares (nearly 540 acres) in area, with vegetation coverage reaching 76.7%, including gradual slopes of 120 hectares (about 300 acres). And 10% to 15% of the garden is covered by water. Gardening works of many domestic and foreign places are on display here.

Kunming World Horticultural Expo Garden is now divided into five big exhibition halls, seven special gardens and three outdoor showplaces. The five exhibition halls include the China Hall, the International Hall, the Man and Nature Hall, the Science and Technology Hall and the Grand Greenhouse. Seven theme gardens are the Vegetable and Fruit Garden, the Bamboo Garden, the Bonsai Plants Garden, the Tea Garden, the Medicinal Herb Garden, the Tree Garden and the Garden of Famous Flowers and Strange Stones (It was found after the 1999 Kunming International Horticulture Exposition). The three outdoor showplaces are the International Exhibition Gardens, the Domestic Exhibition Gardens and the Exhibition Area for Enterprises. Going straight forward after entering the garden, visitors will see the Grand Greenhouse. With total area of 3,630 square meters (about 0.9 acre), it includes four exhibition areas the Tropical Plant Exhibition Area, the Temperate Plants Exhibition Area, Plants at High and Cold Elevations Areas (3,000 meters or more above the sea level), Exhibition Centre and Photos Exhibition Area. After visiting the Grand Greenhouse, the tourists can see the Domestic Exhibition Gardens to the north. It is composed of 34 sections according to China's provinces and regions. With different characteristics, these provincial gardens stand in four solid lines. Walking forward to the World Horticultural Expo Garden, visitors encounter the International Exhibition Gardens, which include 33 sections in total. The five big exhibition halls and the seven special gardens are scattered here.

Kunming World Horticultural Expo Garden transplants and cultivates 2,551 kinds of plants with a total census of more than 2 million. Among them, 112 categories are rare and endangered species. With the theme of Man and Nature, it shows that human beings are interrelated with Nature in a harmonious way.

As the only remains of International Horticulture Exposition, Kunming Expo Garden has created the best record in history. At the same time, it has set a slew of world records in Guinness, such as the largest in area, the fastest in pace of construction and the most in species of plants on display.










      Yunnan Ethnic Villages

At the foot of the Western Hills and bordered on the south by the Dianchi Lake, Yunnan Ethnic Village is a theme park of sorts--an ethnographic display of the architecture and ways of life of Yunnan's minority population.

Visitors, both Chinese and international, always find it difficult to cover the whole province and catch all the sights during a limited and often short stay. In order to solve this problem the Yunnan Ethnic Village was created to bring the history, culture, and customs of 26 different Yunnan minorities together into one exhibit. The setting of Dianchi lake and the Western Hills makes it that much more attractive.

Each of the 26 ethnic minorities has a village built on the premises, of which the three largest are the Bai, Dai, and Yi ethnic villages. A central square has been built to symbolize unity among the various ethnic groups. In addition, there is a folklore museum, a museum of ethnic waxworks, and a theater for the performance of ethnic songs and dances.

The village is not only celebrating ethnic minorities, but it is also designed to give the world a snapshot view of both the natural scenery and cultural importance of Yunnan including: precipitous hills and beautiful lakes, parks, woods, old and modern treasures. Now the community has become a must-see for domestic and overseas visitors to Yunnan.










      Golden Temple

Located on top of Mingfeng (Singing Phoenix) Hill is the home of the Taoist Taihe Palace (Hall of Supreme Harmony), which is the largest copper temple in China. It is also known as the Tongwa Temple (Bronze Tile Temple) and by its popular name, the Golden Temple.

The history of the Golden Temple starts during the Ming Dynasty and the reign of the Emperor Wanli in 1602. At that time the governor of Yunnan Province was a devout Taoist who built this temple to honor the Taoist hero-god Zishi. According to legend, Zishi had a golden palace in the northernmost extremity of the universe. But the Golden Temple didn't stay in its original place for very long. Just 35 years later, in 1637, the entire original temple was moved to Jizu (Chicken Foot) Mountain in western Yunnan. Three decades later in 1671 during the Qing Dynasty, Wu Sangui, the governor of Yunnan Province, built an exact duplicate of the original one. This temple was undisturbed for almost two hundred years until the Muslim rebellion of 1857, during which it suffered some damages. Emperor Guangxu ordered its complete repair and in 1890, using 250 tons (246 gross ton) of solid bronze, the entire temple was again rebuilt. Except for the staircases and balustrades, which are made of marble, the walls, columns, rafters, roof tiles, altars, Buddha statues, wall decorations and the banner near the gate tower are all made of copper. The burnished copper gleamed like gold and that is why people named it the Golden Temple. Since its last renovation, this beloved copper temple on the top of Mingfeng Hill has been well cared and has become the most famous Taoist shrine in Yunnan Province.

As with most Taoist temples, you approach it by climbing up a mountainside on winding stone steps and pass through a series of "Heavenly Gates". The three Heavenly Gates of the Golden Temple are highly decorated with painted archivolts and carved beams and rafters.

The beautiful walk-up stairs to the temple helps you to leave your mundane cares behind you. You may well find that the closer you get to it, the more peaceful and lighthearted you feel as the extreme beauty of Mingfeng can create a sense of inner harmony to its visitors.

At the end of the path, there is a miniature, medieval city wall standing on a platform. There you will also find the Lingxing Gate through which you could enter the temple. Among the interesting artifacts and artistry of the Golden Temple is a double-edged sword with the Big Dipper engraved on it. Legend has it that this sword, which weighs more than 20 kilograms (44 pounds), is the magic sword of Zhen Wu, a Taoist deity, who guards Mingfeng Hill. Near the temple is a 600-year-old camellia tree that signals the approach of spring every February by giving hundreds of exquisite blossoms.

Behind the Golden Temple, there is a three-story-high Bell Tower that was built in 1984 to house a large, 580-year-old copper bell which is three point five meters (16.4 feet) high and weighs an incredible 14 tons (13.7 gross tons).

The hillside around the Golden Temple abounds with pine trees, evergreens, hardy cypresses, and a multitude of plants. As far back as the Qing Dynasty, the natural beauty of Mingfeng Hill has caused it to be acclaimed as the Fairyland of Mingfeng. The Golden Temple is only 11 kilometers (7 miles) from Kunming and is easily accessible by public transportations.










      Grand View Park (Daguan Park)

Daguan, which means 'the grand view', is the most befitting name for the park and the pavilion which are on the terminus of Daguan Road in the southwest of Kunming city, Grand View Park (Daguan Park) and Grand View Pavilion (Daguan Pavilion) .

Grand View Park locates on the shore of Dianchi Lake and faces the Western Hills which are on the other side of Dianchi Lake. In 1682, a monk named Qianyin built a small temple here to give Buddhist lessons; eight years later, in 1690, the satrap of Yunnan Province Wang Jiwen was attracted by the beautiful natural views here and began to construct a whole park including many halls, pavilions, bonsais, rockeries, trees and porches. Grand View Park became an attraction from then on and the most famous spot among them is the Grand View Pavilion.

Like many other Chinese ancient buildings, Grand View Pavilion also had been in disarray, destroyed and restored several times because of the dynastic changes and the civil wars. The present-day square, three-storied pavilion was established in 1883. At the entrance there is the longest antithetical couplet which was written by a famous Qing Dynasty scholar named Sun Ranweng (also called Sun Ran); this couplet of 180 characters is one of the most valued cultural treasures in Yunnan Province. The first part of the couplet describes the beautiful and magnificent natural views before your sight, tell people to enjoy and treasure. The second part reviews the 2000 years' history of Yunnan,awakens to that no matter how successful or frustrated you are, all will be in nothingness in the end.